Monday, March 9, 2009

Jabberjawing with the Jehovah's Witnesses

Going about my normal routine on Monday morning, doing laundry, watching Fox News, and cleaning up the house from the weekend, I hear a knock at my door. Since I just moved to town, I knew it had to be some sort of solicitation. Ugh. I looked out the window and saw two ladies with Bibles in hand. This was going from bad to worse. I live in a rental, so coming up with an excuse not to buy something is no problemo! It's the basic "I'm broke" argument. But sending away two sweet ladies with Bibles in their hands is another story. I opened the door and they asked if they could share something from the Bible with me. And, instead of just saying yes and come in, I told them I was a Christian and I already attended a local church in hopes that they would say ok, we can check you off the big list, and see you later. Well, that didn't seem to deter them. They really just wanted to read a few Bible verses with me. It was cold on the porch, and all the heat was escaping my house, so I let them in. I have absolutely nowhere for anyone to sit in the entry room in my rental, so we stood. She read a nice passage and asked me what I believed. I told her Jesus was the way the truth the life and no one comes to the Father but through Him. They agreed. Then they told me they were Jehovah's Witnesses. I let out an audible groan before I could even stop it from coming out of my mouth. They laughed and said that they were not as bad as what I had been told. I was embarrased. I really didn't mean to do it, it just happened. We talked for another 10 to 15 minutes about our beliefs. I'll give you the rundown. They believe in "go ye therefore teaching all nations" which is exactly what they were doing and why they do the door to door thing. They believe Jesus is the way and that it is about a relationship with Christ. They don't believe in war which could be debated by Christians and nonChristians all over this world. Frankly, I didn't see any "deal breakers" in what I believe vs. what they believe. No, that doesn't mean I'm leaving my new church, but I don't understand why they get such a bad rap. Maybe they didn't give me the full pitch about having to handle snakes or talk in tongues, but I enjoyed their little visit. Maybe that gives you an idea about how bored I really am here in my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment